Stretch marks are narrow, streak-like lines that can develop on the surface of the skin. They are also sometimes known as stria or striae. Stretch marks are often red or purple at first, before gradually fading to a silvery-white colour. They are usually 1-10mm wide and are a few centimetres long.
The structure of the skin
The skin is made up of three main layers:
- The epidermis is the outer layer of skin. It forms a protective barrier for the inside of the body and is made up of layers of flat cells.
- The dermis is the strong, supportive middle layer of skin that gives the skin its firmness and flexibility.
- The subcutis, also sometimes known as the hypodermis, is the inner layer of skin that consists of fat and connective tissue.
Stretch marks occur in the middle layer of skin (the dermis) when the skin is stretched considerably over a short period of time. The rapid stretching causes the dermis to break in places and allow the deeper layers of the skin to show through, forming stretch marks.
How common are stretch marks?
Stretch marks are very common. Anyone can get them, but they occur more often in women than men. The abdomen (tummy), buttocks and thighs are most commonly affected by stretch marks.
Stretch marks can appear on the skin whenever the skin is stretched as a result of sudden growth. For example, they can appear:
- during pregnancy
- as a result of weight gain
- as a results of growth spurts during puberty, when the body matures sexually and the reproductive organs become functional About 9 out of 10 women are affected by stretch marks during pregnancy. Around 7 out of 10 females and 4 out of 10 males develop stretch marks during puberty.
The Fotona SP Dynamis offer a new hope for the reduction of stretchmarks and loose flabby skin. Laser energy is focused directly on the target area. You may feel a slight tingling sensation during the laser treatment. Also, if needed, topical anesthesia can be administered, but this is usually not necessary. Clients should abstain from heat treatments, sunbeds, saunas, jacuzzi, excessive exercise for 7 - 14 days after treatment.
The SP Dynamis is the only system capable of providing a complete spectrum of inside-to-out anti-aging treatments. In a single, uniquely capable system, Fotona has combined the power of the industry's highest performance Er:YAG and Nd:YAG lasers for applications in aesthetics and dermatology, as well as an additional surgical QCW Nd:YAG laser for lipolysis and many other surgical procedures.
- Highest Performance Er:YAG and Nd:YAG Lasers
- Additional Surgical QCW Nd:YAG Laser
- Complete Inside-to-Out, Anti-Aging Treatments
- Full-Field and Fractional Scanning Novel
- TURBO and V-Smooth Technologies
- Convenient Treatment Parameter Management